1/2 lb bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean or similar works well)
1 small eggplant
1 egg, beaten
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup butter cracker crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly salt to sweat the bitter taste out.
- In a saucepan, cook the eggplant cubes with water for about 18 minutes (until tender); drain and cool slightly.
- Cook the sausage and onion until the sausage is browned and the onion is soft.
- Combine the eggplant and sausage; add the beaten egg and bread crumbs.
- Spoon into a prepared casserole.
- Combine the butter and cracker crumbs. Spread over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes (until the cracker crumbs are golden brown).
Makes 4 servings