Finding A SolutionOne day while scanning my local garden center, I came across a flat soaker hose that is supposed to be much easier to handle and easier to store. Yeah right. There's no way a soaker hose can be that easy to use. This soaker hose was the Gilmour Flat 75ft Soaker Hose. The first thing I noticed about this soaker hose that is different than the others I've used is that it's flat, instead of round like a normal water hose, and it's made out of a type of fabric-like material instead of rubber. It looked like it might be a lot easier to work with, and maybe it didn't spring any holes like the rubber types of soaker hoses. So I decided to give it a try.
Testing The Gilmour Flat 75ft Soaker HoseI wanted to place a soaker hose around my tomato and summer squash plants to make it easier watering them this season. The first thing I did after unwrapping the soaker hose was to stretch it out down the length of my garden. I immediately fell in love with how easy the Gilmour Flat Soaker Hose was to lay out. I was also impressed by the length of it. I typically buy 50 foot soaker hoses and was surprised at how much longer that extra 25 feet is. I was able to use the soaker hose to water not only my tomatoes and squash, but my pole beans and eggplant, too. Because the Gilmour Soaker Hose is flat it made it very easy to get under already-established plants, like my yellow summer squash. Once I had the Gilmour Flat Soaker Hose laid out around my plants like I wanted, it was time to hook it up to the water hose and give it a test run. The Gilmour Flat Soaker Hose worked like a charm. Immediately the water started slowly dribbling from the hose just like it's intended to. The great thing is I didn't have not one leak all season long. It is truly a "set it and forget it" garden luxury and one that I highly recommend for your vegetable garden!
Pros Of The Gilmour Flat 75ft Soaker Hose
- Very easy to use and set up
- Relatively inexpensive compared to other soaker hoses
- Much lighter in weight than most rubber soaker hoses of the same length
- Flat construction makes it very easy to roll up and store
- Doesn't kink up and get tangled as much as rubber soaker hoses
- Fabric materials easily bend around sharp corners, making it easier to set the hose exactly where you need it most
- Long 75 foot length covers plenty of garden area
Cons of the Gilmour Flat 75ft Soaker Hose
- Fabric material fades and becomes more "brittle" if exposed in the sun
- Hose connectors on each end are plastic and seem a bit "cheap"
More Great Gardening Items
Discuss in our forums