• Welcome to Veggie Gardener Forum

canning the goods from the garden

Discussion in 'What Tools, Supplies, Equipment Do I Need?' started by stephanie, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

wow! what a prolific garden you are having!

2. stephanie

stephanie Super Moderator

ya not bad for never tilling:) it is going to get bigger once again this fall:) some day it will provide all the veggies I need for a year between harvests. But not yet :) I am slowly adding a new veggie every year and keeping the ones I really like:)

3. Camille

Camille Well-Known Member

I had a very successful garden this year. I was able to can 29 pints of bread and butter pickles..I still have cucumbers coming on! And I canned my grandma's chili sauce recipe..bottled lots of tomatoes. I was able to store more then 2 dozen bags of zucchini and we harvested 17 cantaloupes, this was our first time planting them. And from our berries I was able to make some freezer jam. And we were also able to bag alot of peppers..after using some for grandma's chili sauce:) I have been very happy with our garden this year and I hope for the same next year!

4. Camille

Camille Well-Known Member

We didn't till our garden this time either. We did lay out some manure and then we let our chickens loose and they dug it under as best they could..that was all we did. And we had great success..the best harvest in a few years!

5. stephanie

I did a new tomato recipe it is sweet pickled cherry tomatoes I made one quart jar so far will see how they turn out. hoping they are good!

6. stephanie

OK I know it isn't a garden thing but it sounded wonderful and had to share it.

Banana Bread In Mason Jars
    2/3 cup shortening
    2 2/3 cups white sugar
    4 eggs
    2 cups mashed bananas
    2/3 cup water
    3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    12 - 1 pint canning jars
    funnel
    1.If you are planning on storing these for a while, you will need to sterilize your jars. The jars will keep up to a year in your pantry if sealed properly.
    2.Preheat oven to 325*. Grease insides of a dozen 1 pint canning jars. (I wiped mine down with vegetable oil.)
    3.In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
    Mash bananas in separate bowl..
    4.Beat in eggs, bananas, and water.Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
    5.Add to banana mixture. Add nuts and stir them in with spoon.
    Insert canning funnel into mouth of jar and pour mixture into greased jars, filling half full.
    6.Place jars directly on rack in oven.
    7.Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake for 45 minutes.
    Don’t worry if a few rise over the top of the jar. You can press it down with the lid.
    While jars are still warm, add lids. Screw on tightly. If you sterilized your jars listen for the ping once you have added the lids; this means that the jar is sealed. If you miss the “ping”, wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it’s sealed. When you want to eat they slid right out of the jar so easy.
    by: Aubrey David Mann Brumfield

7. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

I've seen those bread in a jar recipes also. They sound interesting. I belong to a canning group on Facebook and canning bread in a jar causes so much debate! I'm blown away at how fiercely some people will argue over whether something should be canned or not. The general consensus over there is that bread cannot be made safe enough to ensure safe preservation in a jar, but I'm sure there are some people that will still do it.

the last of our local sweet corn was at the farmers market today, so I picked up another 30 ears. Will can it tomorrow and make some of it into cream style corn for canning also. Soon I should be able to start canning tomatos. I think I'm getting a large enough batch to make the work worthwhile. that'll probably be next weekends canning job. And the following weekend I think my apples will be ready to pick. Planning on make some apple butter, apple pie filling and applesauce.