• Welcome to Veggie Gardener Forum

How do you decide what to put in your garden?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by VGAdmin, Jun 21, 2012.

1. veggiewhisperer

veggiewhisperer Well-Known Member

Great question.

When I first started gardening, I planted only things that my husband and I like to eat. Now that we have children, we plant just about anything that we have room for. I noticed that my family has picked-up a healthy eating habit and coming up with creative ways to save money every year. I like to think that our garden has something to do with it. My husband and I are considering adding chickens...we shall see.

2. stephanie

stephanie Super Moderator

I look threw my favorite catalog and mark all I want to plant then from those I decide what I have room for and like to eat best. then I add one maybe two things I haven't tried to grow or eat then order from my favorite catalog. oh and I also look threw the left over seeds to see what I already have that I liked or that grew well and some one else liked in the family. the things that are a constant are asparagus,beets,peas,carrots,green beans,spinach,squash and potatoes. so far the others have been corn,collards and lettuce. have tried turnips,onions,parsnips, tomatoes (don't grow worth a darn in western washington at 600 feet above sea level) need a green house for them. think I may try some artichokes next year and some broccoli and maybe some cauliflower. will also build one more bed raised bed this fall.hope to have a small green house by the end of summer:)

3. Angel20

Angel20 Well-Known Member

New to growing stuff so it was a mix of what I like and what is easy to grow, bit of trial and error. Might be a bit more adventurous next year...

4. Agnes

Agnes Well-Known Member

New to growing stuff too, so I just plant what I like and what is easy to grow.

5. stephanie

stick to veggies tested for your climate conditions. ones proven to grow where you live. for instance I can't grow sweet potatoes,or egg plant or okra to save my life because my warm growing season just isn't long enough, but I can grow the heck out of beets,carrots, squash,peas,asparagus,potato's,spinach,lettuce and green beans. corn it can be done with some work, tomato's have to be grown in a green house situation for me. but if it is a cold loving crop it is mine all the way! things like blue berries,strawberries,blackberries grow wild here because they love the wet and cold. I get a bit over run with black berries and blue berries. apples are a hit here so are cherries all grow with little to no care.

6. rogjam

rogjam Member

I generally stick to what I've been successful with before and a couple of new things to see how they go.

7. stephanie

I look at what grows well in my area first,then what the family will eat regularly, those get planted first, then I pick some thing new that should grow in my area that we want to try and see if we like it or not.
    If we like it and it is an experiment and grows well it gets added to the regular roster of foods we can grow and like to eat. hubby really likes the yin yang bean. I do to they dry nice grow very well on a nice compact bush. this we tried purple pod shelling peas they did awesome way better than the canoe pea,and it is easy to find them on the vine. so they will get added to the roster of great veggies for my garden. if it does just ok and we where kinda eh about it then we try some thing different.