• Welcome to Veggie Gardener Forum

It is spring who's planting?

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Garden' started by stephanie, Mar 28, 2013.

1. stephanie

stephanie Super Moderator

I am finished prepping my garden for the year.So far I have planted,spinach,lettuce,carrots,collard,kale,onion,garlic,peas. In the next couple of days I am planting my corn,squash,green beans. I am so excited to be able to plant seeds right now.The weather has been perfect this spring. It is supposed to be 70 in washington state this saturday!:cool: It will be a couple more weeks before I am able to get my potatoes,tomatoes,asparagus crowns in. This is the gardeners busy time to get planting,get some sun and fresh air!

2. angel1237b

angel1237b Well-Known Member

oh steph..i am happy for you..i still have a month and a little to wait..as soon as the snow leaves i will start raking the yard...lots of leaves and pine needles...that will help me pass the time until last frost...may 18...i have a question for you...i hope i am not a bother..when i rake up my leaves and pine needles..do i just spread them into the garden and till them in...they have been on the ground under the snow all winter and should be somewhat rotted...i am never sure what to do..thank you steph.

3. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

so far I have in lettuce, radishes, garlic and my raspberry shoots are emerging, the blueberry bushes have closed buds on them and the strawberry plants are starting to really produce alot of new leaves. this wknd is supposed to be nice though and then heading for low 70's into next week. So, hopefully we can get the lumber this wknd for three 4x8 raised beds, DH can build those for me and then get them filled with soil. Ideally, I can really start planting more things by the following wknd then!

4. stephanie

I would spread them around as mulch on top of the beds this year and then till them in next year. plant your seeds then use the pine needle and leaves as a top dressing mulch.

5. Shannon

Shannon Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo! Its getting warmer -43 in Northern Illinois. I can hardly wait! My ground is still frozen. Last week I sprayed dormant oil on my fruit trees (the bugs discovered them last year) and today I pruned them. It felt so good to be out in the sun even though it was muddy and chilly. :). As soon as that ground softens up I'll direct sow my greens.

6. angel1237b

angel1237b Well-Known Member

lol...you go shannon..i feel the same way...come on sun.

7. MorganLovesGardening

MorganLovesGardening Well-Known Member

Its 55 degrees here on the Jersey Shore. I just planted peas, onions, and scallions yesterday. I need to start seedlings today. Wondering how the salt from the ocean has affected my soil.

8. PHONETOOL

PHONETOOL Well-Known Member

It's probably beneficial Ocean water has quite a few minerals.
    I add this when watering about once a week >>> http://www.seaagri.com/fertilizer.htm

9. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

today should be almost 80 degrees here and how I wish I had the day off and could plant!

DH is still constructing my raised garden beds though. Three 4' x 8' beds. These suckers will be strong and will last a long time! He's doing such a good job on them and I know it'll be worth the wait.

but the last several days of warm weather, following a rain/thunder/lightening storm that rolled through on Saturday have sure made things explode! My radishes and lettuce have doubled in size, lots of new shoots on my raspberries and all my fruit trees are ready to bust out with new leaves.

10. stephanie

my peas,lettuce,spinach and collards are up now, fruit trees have started blooming, the mason bees are out doing their jobs. my daffodils and tulips are both hitting full bloom. just finished planting corn,squash,onion,broccoli and carrots. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and through the weekend here in western washington. still have another garden area to prep and plant. Hubby's a bit slow doing his section and trial with growing the three sisters using the traditional dent corn,bean(pole) and squash(pumpkin). I have some ornamental trees to find a perm home for and you would think I could on 5-1/3rd acres but nope can't figure out where I want them to grow and look pretty. finishing up the pig pen repairs today so my new arrivals tomorrow will have a safe dry place to lay their wee heads. till they are full grown in october. oh ya pigs grow real fast 3-5 lbs per day I get them at 6-8 weeks old. this year we are going to raise one up as a breeding sow and give that at whirl on the farm.