• Welcome to Veggie Gardener Forum

It is spring who's planting?

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Garden' started by stephanie, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

Last night I went out to cover up my one garden bed with lettuce/radishes because we had a frost warning. And while I was out there I see that the area in my garden where I dug a hole over the winter and just put all my veggie/fruit scraps for composting, has stuff growing! It's super rich black soil with all that decomposed over the winter and it looks like I have potatos growing and I'm not sure what the other sprouts are that came up. It looks like the first oval shaped/rounded leaves that cucumbers sprout but they are BIG. the leaves are probably about the size of limes. I guess I'll just let it continue growing and see what I get.

2. stephanie

stephanie Super Moderator

do let it grow to see what it is!!!
    potatoes will do that some times from starts and if you cut open a squash before you cook it and compost those seeds some times they grow too!

3. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

ahhh! that just reminded me - the area where the unidentified plant is coming up is where I composted our halloween pumpkin. It's gotta be pumpkin seeds that are sprouting. There's about 4-5 of them.

4. stephanie

cool at least you won't have to go shopping for pumpkin this year!

5. stephanie

I have potatoes coming up all over the place, my broccoli is up now so are my onions, I got my tomatoes in the green house in the raised bed. gotta keep them moist till they get used to being transplanted, some are already blooming. think this weekend I am going to flatten the extra dirt pile out and plant some thing in it. bare dirt need veggies growing in it it is screaming to be used planted in.

6. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

i've been picking some lettuce and radishes, finally! We are finally getting some consistent warmer temps with the nights staying milder, so my lettuce really started growing quickly now.

the blueberry bushes I transplanted are just really loaded with what will be berries. I'm so excited because I really didn't think they'd produce much the first year after I transplanted them. Lots of raspberry shoots coming up also.

and what I thought was pumpkins coming up might not be. My mom didn't think they looked like pumpkins. too big for cucumbers, but maybe some other kind of squash? I guess it'll be my mystery plants - I have about 10 of them that came up. but then in another area where I buried veggie scraps for composting, I had what kind of looks like cucumbers coming up. but I'm not sure on that either, so another mystery.

My husband finally finished up my raised garden boxes. These things are build SO sturdy. he did a great job. We'll move them out to the garden tonight or tomorrow and then this week he'll get a truckload of gardening soil for me. I'm going to start some seeds tomorrow in the many terra cotta pots I have and then in a couple weeks I can transplant to the garden boxes.

Feels good to be in 80 degree temps this week and really feel like I can begin the gardening w/o worry of cold nights again.

7. stephanie

I have some mystery plants coming up in odd places also I am hopping they are some type of squash because they have emerged from under the edge of a raised bed and if they are potatoes I will be over whelmed with them sprouting up every where in a few years.

8. Shannon

Shannon Well-Known Member

LOL! The only mystery plants I'm getting are weeds! Chickweed is new to my back yard this year. I pulled some along with some beautiful dandelion leaves for my spring tonic. Yum. :)

9. Tammy

Tammy Super Moderator

Yesterday when I was out in the garden pulling some weeds and getting a few seeds planted, I saw something growing amongst my raspberry shoots - it was only about an inch high and had delicate little pointed leaves on it. It didn't look like my other raspberry shoots coming up, so I pulled it and at the base of the root was a peach pit! I had a peach pit that was probably in with the compost I added to the raspberries that had sprouted. If I had had a clue it was a peach, I would have carefully dug it up and put it in a pot and tried growing a peach tree.

10. stephanie

I harvested my first handful of asparagus for this year! it looks great I am so looking forwards to more. this week is going to be weather weird though, freezing at night and 70 during the day. kinda make plants do weird stuff.