With most of the Northeast and Midwest sections of the country under snow, it seems like a strange time to think about gardening. Even with a foot of snow outside you can still grow your own fresh herbs and even some greens using great new tools that have recently become available. Several months ago, I featured a guest post on Indoor Gardening, and I think it’s a good time to get into this very underrated form of gardening.
Here are a couple very easy-to-use items that can keep you gardening even during those blizzards of winter.
- AeroGarden Space-Saver Elite with Gourmet Herb Seed Kit – The AeroGarden is a wonderful way to grow your own fresh herbs. How nice would it be to have those fresh herbs readily available right there in your kitchen while preparing your favorite meals? The AeroGarden is very easy to setup, almost effortless to maintain, and best of all – it requires no dirt! Your herbs will grow very quickly, and you will have an almost endless supply all winter. You can even grow some salad greens with the AeroGarden such as endive, mesclun mix, baby bok choy, and much more. Not only does it keep you gardening in winter, but it has a very stylish look as well.
- 4-Tier SunLite Garden with Jump Start Kit – The 3-Tier SunLite Garden has everything you need to grow a great garden indoors. There is no better way to enjoy fresh herbs and vegetables during the harsh winter months than this! You can easily grow herbs, leafy vegetables, lettuces, and even cherry tomatoes. The system comes with four trays with water gauges, two bags of seedstarting mix, organic fertilizer, plant markers and a timer power strip. You will have a yummy indoor garden in no time with the 3-Tier Sunlite Garden!
- Herb Savor – Once you are ready to begin harvesting your freshly grown herbs, you might want to use the Herb Savor – here are five reasons why:
- Prolongs the life of your fresh herbs for up to 3 weeks
- Herb stems sit slightly submerged in the water of the water-well, keeping them fresh
- Features easily refillable water well base and removable stainless steel herb basket
- Fits inside a typical refrigerator door while providing roomy herb storage capacity
- Works with all kinds of herbs–from parsley and cilantro to woody-stemmed herbs like rosemary and thyme
The Herb Savor is a very handy item for extending the life of your herbs, and saving you money in the long run.
As you can see, it is very possible to grow your own fresh herbs and vegetables all year long – even if you have a pile of snow in your usual garden area! Do you indoor garden during the winter? If so, what do you grow and how do you grow it? I would love to hear your comments!
Discuss in our forums