This potato salad looked so delicious, I just had to try it. I was not disappointed, and I don’t think you will be either. This is a nice alternative to the usual mustard or mayonnaise-based potato salad.
Category Finalist, Sides and Salads. “My husband doesn’t like mayonnaise, so I created a potato salad with a vinaigrette. I experimented and realized how little oil I need. Add the dressing while the potatoes are still hot. It really helps the vinegar permeate the potatoes.” —Elsie Gonto, Savannah, Georgia
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups cubed red potato (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- To prepare dressing, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- To prepare salad, place potato and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above potato; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Add potato to dressing in bowl, tossing gently to coat; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in cucumber and remaining ingredients; toss well. Cover and chill.
Photo courtesy of Cooking Light
Discuss in our forums