Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my corn had at least 2 to 3 corn worm in each one last year...even though i don't mind bugs too much , it was not good..i read it is a moth thet lays it's eggs on the tassel..can i cover the tassel at night with mabee a styro foam cup to stop them from laying the eggs on the tassel? or can i do something else...i know about the drop of oil on the tassel (does this work)..all i want to do is grow some good corn...any suggestions would be very much appreaciated...

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
you shouldn't have to because the old nylons are porous enough for pollen just not bugs/worms.
This is some thing organic apple farmers do so the so the apples don't get the dreaded apple maggot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've heard that putting a tiny drop of petroleum free mineral oil on the tassles when they are just starting will prevent the worms. I've had problems with growing corn...I thought it was supposed to be and 'easy' veggie!

·
Registered
2 Posts
good to know. I live in the south along the Gulf in Cameron, La. and need to know if I can start another crop of corn right now. Just picked my corn last week and would like to plant again if possible. Cajun Gardner.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi Cajun gardner , i can't help with your question but if you have any tips on growing GOOD corn I would love to hear them...this is only my second year gardening and we mostly want to grow some good corn . last year my corn was full of corn worm and small...some say add the drop of oil as soon as the silk starts to show , and some say wait until the silk is pollinated..i would like to try this this year but I am still not sure when to add the oil...also the pantyhose sounds like a good idea however I am not totally convinced the pollen will get through...and if I try this can I just buy knee highs at the dollar store and use them....so confused as to what is the best thing to do to get good corn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts