Gardening Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the gardening discussions? Click here!

Blight resistant tomato plants

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  PHONETOOL 
#1 · (Edited)

Click on above picture to view my video

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think that any of my favorite tomatoes are blight resistant and I am heart broken. One of my tomato patches have what I think is verticillium wilt along some of my cucumbers and flowers. I hope it doesn't jump around the yard and destroy anything else. :-(

#3 ·
I am having great big tomatoes but I have them in a make shift green house. tons of them too all colors, yellows,reds,purples, green ones(i think) some are fist size but still green right now but wow I have never had this much success with tomato's. this is a good year in western washington for gardening. my nasturtiums are climbing the trellis and are in full bloom, I have harvested 2 separate pickings of broccoli and collard greens, potatoes all I can say is wow they have lost their potato minds! my pumpkins well gonna have them for the first time this year! looks like I will be cooking pumpkins for pie! this year has been a turning point on the farm we finally got the whole 5 acres fenced in and have the stock turned out on it. the pigs are huge and not due to butcher till nov 3rd, the chickens are giving me any average of 6 eggs a day out of 12 chickens. (some don't lay every day) I think I may end up with a multi use cow next year.

#4 ·
you are having an amazing gardening year Stephanie!!

I want to plant different types of tomatos like that next year. Right now I'm growing medfords - which are my new favorite for salsa or sauces over the roma's. and I think I had some cherry/pear tomatos come up from seed also.

#6 ·
I don't think that any of my favorite tomatoes are blight resistant and I am heart broken. One of my tomato patches have what I think is verticillium wilt along some of my cucumbers and flowers. I hope it doesn't jump around the yard and destroy anything else. :-(
Yeah I'm not sure what my tomatoes have but I have started to spray with a water baking soda drop of dish soap mix
I finally picked up a gallon sprayer.

#8 ·
I've been using Neem for the wilt. Things clear up and then come back with amazing speed.
I've also ordered some of these although I normally don't grow hybrids but I thought I would give these a try

Celebrity Tomato

Celebrity vines bear clusters of large tomatoes that are prized for their flavor. This is a great, all-round, dependable choice for your "basic" tomato needs .

Great sandwiches, slicing, snacks, and bruschetta. Gardeners love that the plants are quite resistant to
disease, too. The large, meaty fruit with exceptional flavor are borne on dependable, strong vines that benefit from the support of a cage or stake to keep them upright,

especially when loaded with fruit. Celebrity is sometimes considered a Determinate tomato plant, because it grows to a certain height (3 to 4 feet) but continues to produce fruit all season until frost. Space 24 to 36 inches apart.
Great flavor in firm, 8-oz., crack-free fruits. Performs well in almost every region and under adverse conditions. Good blight tolerance and foliage cover.
Determinate. 72 DAYS.

Resistant to verticillium wilt (V), fusarium wilt races 1 and 2 (F), nematodes, and tobacco mosaic virus (T).

#9 ·
I found that making sure my tomatoes where covered and only watered from below and only when they desperately need it and planted in deep raised beds they have done much better that any other way. being in the PNW we usually have a devil of a time even getting healthy plants let alone fruit from them. this is my first year that I have ever gotten tomatoes and I try every other year it seems. didn't get a single carrot this year and those do well normally. I may have to replant carrots and keep them watered more for a fall/winter harvest.

#11 ·
your in cali and carrots like it cool and damp-ish they would do better in a part-shady part of your yard in the cooler months and kept damp with a black soak-er hose at least until they are a few inches tall then back to regular watering. they also like deep very loose/sandy soil.

#12 ·
your in cali and carrots like it cool and damp-ish they would do better in a part-shady part of your yard in the cooler months and kept damp with a black soak-er hose at least until they are a few inches tall then back to regular watering. they also like deep very loose/sandy soil.
Thanks Stephanie for that information I have a perfect spot for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.