Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
cherries in pots

I would like to grow a Bing cherry and Rainer Cherry tree. Can they be planted in a large container and produce fruit?

Thanks
Lynette
they like to have the roots stay cool for the most part, but if you can find the dwarf varieties and a large enough pot I do believe it is possible, part of it also depends on climate you live in. I would use a ceramic pot with good drainage and in winter definitely wrap blankets from good will around the pots and maybe a bit of insulation too. I live in western washington and cherry trees like those grow well planted in the ground. I do love the rainier cherry best, I introduced my southern in-laws to the rainier cherry and to washington peaches. they loved both and thought our cherries and peaches where way better than the ones grown down south.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes Growing fruit in containers can be particularly suitable when a large section of garden is devoted to vegetables or flowers. Depending on the type of fruit chosen, watering and cultivation requirements may be incompatible with other plants.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
There is an dwarf apple called a pole apple it is designed for container gardening and comes in several varieties,I recently discovered a bush apricot also, there are also dwarf blue berries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts