Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Angel, Stephaine is right on!! I don't use compost bins. Since all my beds are of the lasagna style, I just spread the contents on the beds, but I do cover this with about inch or 2 of soil, straw, or mulched leaves. this will help it to compost faster and keep from looking unslightly. In another month will be fall leaf collecting time. I always keep a big pile of leaves all year long to add to my beds. Actually lasagna garden beds is what some gardeners used to call "sheet composting"! don't forget to add a little lime to your compost
good gardening

·
Registered
232 Posts
if you have a compost bin, adding a handful of lime will keep the critters away and it also helps with speeding up composting. Plus you will need to add a little lime to any compost or lasagna bed since so much is brown material
good luck gardening

·
Registered
232 Posts
Tammy, a few years back I learned from experience. I thought that having good compost was enough to grow just about anything. I planted my tomatoes and yellow summer squash. I had more BER, and almost lost my whole crop. And all because I did not add a little lime! Lime and epson salt adds calcium to your planting medium which without calcium is the biggest cause of BER (bottom end rot). made a believer out of me!
enjoy fall gardening

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.