Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm writing from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. We have a very short but quite a hot growing season most of the time. I just have a 10 x 12 garden plot in my backyard. We do pretty well with our veggies, for the space, but the time is limited and some tomatoes have to be brought in to ripen because of early frost. I have problems with things like spinach going to seed too early. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I would plant the spinach later in your growing season say at the peak of the warm part so the seed germinate faster but last longer into fall spinach can handle some pretty low temps and light frosts, that way it shouldn't bolt and to help it keep going slower longer into the fall season I would do a row cover.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
ditto on the spinach tip. You might find doing it in reverse will be better with your climate, whereas here in the PNW, we can plant that fairly early because we have a longer cool season. I do also buy a type of spinach that is more bolt resistant because we have been known, here in So. Oregon, to get a spurt of 90+ degree days even in May when my spinach is usually still growing.
it's nice to have you here! Welcome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts