Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the Field mice are eating my lettuce. Here is some ideas I've found does anybody have any suggestions to add ?

My theory is they have gotten attracted to my garden area because of the compost bin.

Carbonated Soda

Put sweet, carbonated soda in a saucer and place where the mice can drink from it. The carbonization kills the mice; that way you won't have to use poisons or traps, especially if you have small children around.

Instant Potatoes

I have a rather frugal option for getting rid of field mice that an old farmer told me about and it really does work: Use instant mashed potatoes; they are much cheaper and alot safer than rat posions. Place a few tablespoons where the mice are seen most often; try to keep them out of reach of the dog, just to be safe. The mice will eat the instant potatoes and die because the potatoes will expand in their stomachs before they can fully digest them. Most likely, the mice will die in the house if that is where they are living, but it's better to have dead mice than live ones! As for the dog and his/her intolerance of a cat: you may be very surprised! We now have 5 cats (1 indoor, 4 barn cats) and I would have never thought my dog would tolerate cats. She actually enjoys them and plays with them for hours. Since getting the cats, my mouse problem is over!

Glue traps

-

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I know some snakes eat mice and rats, but also know that in areas other than where I live they can be dangerous to humans and pets. Guinna hens will eat mice rats and snakes even poisonous snakes and lizards. the draw back is they fly and are noisy so keeping them contained requires clipping the wings on a regular basis. I welcome gardener snakes where I live because they are not poison and eat slugs,bugs and small rodents. If you garden and live where there are poisonous snakes just use caution and don't kill them give them a chance to move on because they are there to eat those rodents that have been attracted to your garden.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

I shut off the motion sensor sprinkler which usually keeps the cats away from the garden and my cat Simon took care of all of the rodents in about a week. We found him tossing around mice for several days. So Simon will be rewarded with premium canned cat food.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
awesome the mice are done having a field day! just don't leave it off all the time. but every so often let the cat do his business of rodent removal.:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to turn the motion sensor sprinkler on again. They're pretty well trained now they don't attempt to do their business in my garden anymore.:)

I highly recommend the motion sensor sprinkler for anyone having trouble with animals in their garden.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I got one for christmas last year not much issue except the deer. the cat never goes in the garden. think some times raccoons do. It is kind of hard to see what eats the garden with out a motion sensor wild life camera. mmmmmm maybe should get one of those for around the place too just to find out what really passes threw my yard. since I live next to a 9000 acre forest it could be interesting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have heard that sprinkling blood meal around the garden will keep out pests. I tried it and it helped me with rabbits! Those darned dogs of ours aren't doing their jobs! LOL Hopefully with all the chickens running around I don't have to worry about mice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.