Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, kinda lost of this site, but will start here.

M son built me a garden with four beds in his backyard years ago, and I have been gardening out there for years.

I have never used mulch and would like to know more about it. I do not have a lot of money,
At the local recycle center, they have a huge pile of wood to use as mulch but how would that help.

Any links or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you so much

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Welcome Gram.......sounds like we are pretty much in the same boat. Love gardening, but broke.....lol

Mulch helps break up heavy soil. I tend to use leaves and other garden waste in the fall to do this. You can also add in kitchen scraps etc to accomplish this. I have a compost pile in the back of my yard to mix all this stuff together.

Plant Tree Wood Land lot Trunk

·
Registered
46 Posts
mulch helps keep moisture in the soil and weeds down when applied over the soil

don't mix fresh wood chips into the soil as they will deplete nitrogen in the soil

it will take a few years, depending on your local environment, to decompose hardwood chips before they can be tilled in, softwood will take less time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate both of these responses, and thought I added a "thank you" here. Looking today, my response disappeared.

Very lost here. What do I do to add my response to folks answering me, and making suggestions.

Thank you. Hope this posts here this time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find that woodchip mulch is better as a topping for areas that you want to look ‘natural’ but don’t want to have exposed soil for opportunistic weeds.
It takes too long to rot down as a soil improver

I use rotted horse manure as a soil improver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.