Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in Tampa FL and need someone to bounce some questions off of every once in a while as I am growing in my gardening skills. As you probably know, gardening in central FL is unlike gardening anywhere else in the US. Many resources that I have fail to consider the unique climate that we have.

My first question, where is the best place in Tampa to buy fertilizer, soil ammendments and anything gardening?

Thank you,
Kyle Truman

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi Kyle and welcome, I live a long way from Tampa, (I'm in TN0 but I would think you would have a Lowes or Home depot there. They are good sources for fertilizer and most anything for gardening. I use most organics in my garden so I dont buy commercial fertlize. I do buy a lot of ROTTEN sawdust, and river.creek sand..So I make my own soil using this mix. If you can find this in your area, mix 70% rotten sawdust with 30% sand. this is what I use for growing in pots, and also add to my raised "lasagna beds" I always mix a handful of agriculture lime to this, along with some bone meal and cottonseed meal. You can look to see if you have a garden/mulch center in your area. If you cannot find someone with horses, goats, rabbits, cattle where you could get manure, then the best commercial would be at Lowes called "moo manure" and its already composted. Most mulch centers will have potting soil and potting mixes where you can buy bulk at very good prices. Hope this will help you some..also find and make friends with some gardeners or maybe a group of gardeners. I belong to the "middle Tenessee plant swap" here in Tn and we meet twice a yr and swap, have a great time and everyone brings a pot luck, and I can tell you there are some great cooks here in TN..!! good luck to you
Errol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, Kyle, I'm over in Pasco County! Unfortunately, I won't be much help to you, I need help myself. This is a tough climate to grow vegetables in, I'm really struggling here. I have a compost pile that's never hot (which is kind of funny when you think about it), so I usually get my garden or potting soil from Lowes. I usually amend it with perlite and manure or peat. My yard is sand (not sandy, just sand), so I've been using homemade Earth Pails for my veges; but my tomatoes still failed to dazzle me this spring. I'll try again in August; I'm going with seeds this time; but I'm getting discouraged. I even put a beach umbrella over the darn plants to protect them from the afternoon sun. I hope to get some good advice from more seasoned gardeners than myself. Any great Florida gardeners out there?
Nice to meet everyone!
patty c

·
Registered
9 Posts
Organics Help in Tampa

Go to www.mushroomcomposttampa.com to find mushroom compost, and also anything you want to know about organics they will provide you with the information you need. They have bat guano, organic mushroom compost, concentrated teas everything you need to organically grow and garden!

Hello,

I live in Tampa FL and need someone to bounce some questions off of every once in a while as I am growing in my gardening skills. As you probably know, gardening in central FL is unlike gardening anywhere else in the US. Many resources that I have fail to consider the unique climate that we have.

My first question, where is the best place in Tampa to buy fertilizer, soil ammendments and anything gardening?

Thank you,
Kyle Truman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.