Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in zone 7 and started all my plants from seeds. They all germinated well but they are growing incredibly slow, except for the basil. My thyme plant is about 2 inches and has been in "ground" for about 3 weeks. Everything else is even smaller than that (flat leaf Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Oregano, sage, thyme). I did feed them with epsom salt when transplanting and recently used liquid miracle grow

·
Registered
79 Posts
monaraebeads,

I wish I had a clear answer for you. I too live in zone 7 and I have always had difficulty growing herbs, except for basil, mint, and rosemary. However, I did buy one of those herb kits that comes complete with a container. That seemed to do well for me last year. Maybe someone with more success will chime in.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I'm having great success with my herbs this year (i'm zone 8) but I decided to plant the herbs in large pots on the patio off my kitchen. I found that when I planted the herbs out in my veggie garden, they just never got as prolific, but in with pots with just plain potting soil and a bit of compost amended in, they did awesome. Maybe it's because the soil doesn't dry out as much in between waterings?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found that the herb pot liked only a sprinkling of water on a daily basis; they started growing really well when I cut back on the amount of water. Thyme is still very sparse and basil is growing like a weed.

I'm thinking about moving the pot inside for the winter and wondering how much sun they will need to keep growing and will indirect sun work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First I have a question. When you say herb pot does that mean they are all in one pot? Thyme and Basil have very different requirements. Actually thyme will handle indirect light much better than basil. Thyme also likes very good drainage and less water than basil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts