Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some opinions on an idea I have.
I want to convert one of my planters I built into a small greenhouse that I can have my seedlings in while growing.
I have a heated cord used for keeping ice build up off the roof edge of the house. It is low wattage, so shouldn't use much power.

Wood Rectangle Gas Plant Compost

I would bury that cord in the dirt in the planter and then have this lid on it. It should gradually heat up the soil and the whole planter. I may even be able to start some plants early in that soil.

Wood Automotive tire Rectangle Composite material Road surface

I could make the lid sloped for water run off. What do you all think of this idea?

Wood Road surface Asphalt Composite material Charcoal

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems we are kind of dead in the water right now. The heating cable is not working. I even tried it in the freezer...lol....I guess its dead. No one around here seem to have any in stock either, wrong time of year I guess.....I guess I am just making a small cold frame for now until I find something. I might look for an old waterbed heater or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We used small water heaters in the big water tubs we kept in our barn, they’re sold for putting in ponds to keep an ice free hole for fish.

I’m not sure if they could be used in soil though - maybe set something on fire?

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it seems cold frames work. Since my heater packed it in, I built a cover for one of my planters. Put it on this morning. Temp has been about +6C (40F} and sunny for a few hours. The soil inside has warmed up to over 60F. I will see what it's at in the morning as it will get below freezing. May try some radish and carrots in the next few days and see what happens. Going to build another frame also.

Outdoor bench Wood Natural material Outdoor furniture Grass

Plant Wood Rectangle Grass Wood stain

Hard to see but it's the soil is almost 70F

Frog Organism True frog Terrestrial plant Adaptation

·
Registered
soft fruit
356 Posts
It might be better if you had a higher top to it for larger crops, here's a video on how to make one and you can scale it down to the size that you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts