Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Arkansas, and am in zone 8A. I have a 4,000 sq ft garden I am working with as a brand new grower. I am currently only using half of it to grow because I am new, and am experimenting. However, I still work the other half with my wheel hoe to keep the weeds at bay. I was hoping that someone could explain to me something...People say to not give nitrogen to vegetable producing plants after they have grown up around knee height or so because they won't grow much vegetable if you do. I get that. However, I don't see why giving a crop such as corn chicken litter pellets that have a guaranteed 3-2-3 analysis would cause it to grow less corn? Or put that same situation with any other crop like tomatoes or beans. Seems to me if it is pretty even it should be able to do everything...am I wrong on that?

Thanks for taking a look, and hope to be able to learn and teach a lot here!

methos

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Logan, good to have found the forum! I am wondering if just using a equally distributed fertilizer such as 3-2-3 would be good to use throughout the growing time of the plant vs changing it to something like 0-3-3? I mean, I would just rather fertilize with the chicken litter pellets throughout the season every couple of weeks. Could you help me understand why that doesn't work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
soft fruit
419 Posts
Hi it won't work because you'll get more leaf than fruit with a high nitrogen fertilizer.
But if you're growing in the ground I wouldn't bother with it at all, just give them a good layer of mulch but don't let it touch the stems because it can burn them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi it won't work because you'll get more leaf than fruit with a high nitrogen fertilizer.
But if you're growing in the ground I wouldn't bother with it at all, just give them a good layer of mulch but don't let it touch the stems because it can burn them.
Ok. Yes, I am growing in the ground. If I understand you right, the 3-2-3 fertilizer is considered a high nitrogen fertilizer? When you say you wouldn't bother if I am in ground growing, do you mean just use the chicken litter pellets that are the 3-2-3 mentioned above? Also, did you mean the litter pellets when you said mulch? I haven't heard about mulch burning the plants...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts