Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Doris, I am Donna. I have only been on here about 10 minutes myself. I am anxious to hear how your husband does with the pumpkin contest. We are also in zone 8, and I just ordered seeds for large pumpkins, but I think it may be too late to start them this year because it is already almost 100 degrees here daily and I doubt new sprouts could handle the intense sun. But one trick I have found very helpful is to put my lawn chairs in the garden, right over new transplants and shade them for 4 days to give them a decent start before getting hit by the Texas sun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are you at?
Aumsville is the first town east of Salem on Hwy 22.
I grew up in Oakland, Oregon, just north of Roseburg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just finished 3 tomato sandwiches using a single Old German ... and I'm full ... and I'm happy. If I had only these tomatoes to eat every day the rest of my life, I'd stay happy. The world is diverse, and there are a lot of other very delicious varieties out there.

While I was eating those sandwiches, I noticed how the Old German starts with a great tomato flavor while biting through the bread texture and then the tomato gives up the stage letting the mayo and other ingredients come to the front. Really, a delightful mix.

But, there are other varieties out there, so find your favorite! Cherokee Purple gets so many good reviews ... and its understandable with the complexity of flavors, I picture holding a ribbon in hand and tasting the tomato as judging for its flavor when I bite into these. But, *for my taste buds*, I claim the German Johnson and Brandywine as the ones that make all the work in the garden completely worth it. When I bit into one of those, I know that I have to keep growing tomatoes ... because I have just found a treasure chest of yummy and that flavor cannot be found anywhere except right out of the garden.

For those having problems with fruit set, here in VA, the problem more often than not is too heavy on nitrogen leading into the blossoming. We get this question about every week at the plant clinic ... "My plants are huge and dark green, but the flowers keep falling off"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just started for the first time growing Old German Heirloom tomatoes. I'm actually growing in an above ground planter and so far so great, they are growing very happy. I'm new to veggie gardening and have had a pretty good yield in growth so far into the summer. Curious when rule of thumb is the time to pull to eat and do they get a red color when time for the picture you've shown here is on the slight side of red color. Thanks for input. Also I'm in Virginia region near Richmond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished 3 tomato sandwiches using a single Old German ... and I'm full ... and I'm happy. If I had only these tomatoes to eat every day the rest of my life, I'd stay happy. The world is diverse, and there are a lot of other very delicious varieties out there.

While I was eating those sandwiches, I noticed how the Old German starts with a great tomato flavor while biting through the bread texture and then the tomato gives up the stage letting the mayo and other ingredients come to the front. Really, a delightful mix.

But, there are other varieties out there, so find your favorite! Cherokee Purple gets so many good reviews ... and its understandable with the complexity of flavors, I picture holding a ribbon in hand and tasting the tomato as judging for its flavor when I bite into these. But, *for my taste buds*, I claim the German Johnson and Brandywine as the ones that make all the work in the garden completely worth it. When I bit into one of those, I know that I have to keep growing tomatoes ... because I have just found a treasure chest of yummy and that flavor cannot be found anywhere except right out of the garden.

For those having problems with fruit set, here in VA, the problem more often than not is too heavy on nitrogen leading into the blossoming. We get this question about every week at the plant clinic ... "My plants are huge and dark green, but the flowers keep falling off"
Thanks for your input about this type of tomato. I'm new to growing them and your post helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts