Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
You'll love gardening and canning - it is so rewarding. Please, however, contact your local Extension Office to get up-to-date canning guidelines and recipes (they usually have great classes in summer). It is very important to know how to safely preserve foods without compromising the health of your family. Unless a recipe is tested by scientists, it should not be used. Botulism toxin is a very real and life-altering, if not fatal food poisoning. It is MUCH more serious than tummy upset and diarrhea. You shouldn't be scared of it, but you should take it very seriously.
-Doris

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
welcome! I'm originally from MN and that is where I was introduced to gardening. My mom always had a large garden. I disliked having to help her in the garden at the time because I was pulling weeds for her, or I was cutting up the HUGE pile of beans on the kitchen table that she was going to can, but she evidently "planted that seed" in me because now I love gardening and can't wait tend to my garden. I even find an odd enjoyment in pulling weeds now! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doris for the info. I have been canning for years, I use to help my mom can. But it always good to know what you are doing, I do think of Botulism when I am canning, it is a scary thing. I try to be very careful when canning.

Tammy, I still hate weeding the garden. I try and get my kids to do it or my husband, LOL! I pay the kids a penny a weed. They lose interest pretty quick, but it keeps them out of trouble and its less I have to do :eek:) Where are you now, if you aren't in MN anymore?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Thanks Doris for the info. I have been canning for years, I use to help my mom can. But it always good to know what you are doing, I do think of Botulism when I am canning, it is a scary thing. I try to be very careful when canning.

Tammy, I still hate weeding the garden. I try and get my kids to do it or my husband, LOL! I pay the kids a penny a weed. They lose interest pretty quick, but it keeps them out of trouble and its less I have to do :eek:) Where are you now, if you aren't in MN anymore?
sorry for the late reply - I've been offline for about 3 days. I moved out to the west coast (Seattle) in 1991, then moved to southern oregon in late 2000. I get back to MN occassionally, but not as often as I would like due to cost of airfare. I was back last June and will go back again in early 2014 for my grandmas 90th bday party.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm from MN also. Just joined the forum today, hoping to learn lot's of idea's from the members. I'm from the twin city area, where are you located?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts