Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been gardening off and on for the last 20 years but feel I have so much more to learn. Over the last few years I have been trying very hard to do some organic gardening but seem to lose so many vegetables to disease and deer every summer that I feel discouraged. I would love some suggestions on keeping deer out. We have a fence which they just jump. Then we put up a second higher wire of fishing line which worker for a short time. The deer cleaned out the tops of my sweet potatoes, ate my green beans and my tomato plants too. Feeling discouraged. Also I seem to lose my squash and cucumbers every season due to that moldy disease. I switch planting spots every year but only get to harvert a few before my vines start to wither and die. I hate to spray them. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I would try a motion sensitive sprinkler for the deer. Nothing like getting hit by a shot of water and sudden movement to scare them off. I do organic gardening and follow the lasagna raised bed design. Haven't tilled a garden in 4 years now ever! this works on several levels from a slow composting to keep the soil full of good bugs and microbes. to help get a garden started on organics one of my favorite web sites is http://www.arbico-organics.com/ this helps bring a nice balance in your favor to be able to add the good stuff with out disturbing the soil. here is a bit more help on the no til organic way of growing things: http://backtoedenfilm.com/ this one one of the things that made sense to me more than fighting the earth and back breaking labor. hope you find both helpful like I did.

·
Registered
232 Posts
welcome Johnsonacres, Like Stephanie, I also garden the lasagna way of gardening. Its so easy and I have never owned a tiller. As for deer, I have no trouble here and I live in the country. I think they have so much other crops to eat that they leave mine along. Plus there are hunting dogs in my area. I have heard of some hanging aluminum pans out so that the wind makes them clatter. but welcome to the forum, ans I'm sure someone can help you with the deer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts