Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, I too do lasagna,raised beds living in western washington I have rocky acidic soil for the most part.And wen I say rocks I mean the kind that break augers and tillers, not the puny ones that are annoying.I also live with in a mile of salt water which adds a twist to the air (makes it a bit salty)and 600 feet above sea level between 2 mt ranges. micro climate area maxed out. :) raised bed are wonderful,I top mine off every winter with horse poo, hay,news paper shredded,chicken bedding/poo and wood chips in layers some times grass clippings/leaves,or composted dirt from the local gravel pit top soil place. This way of gardening you don't suffer from soil compaction or crawling around on your knees plus you save on fuel since you don't till it up ever, keeps a nice balance in the soil of microbes and good bugs also keeps the weeds down :)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
some things can be grown in shaded areas such as collard greens, spinach,lettuce,and other type of leafy greens such as beets and turnips. Don't forget to include flowers as they help keep good bugs near your veggies for better production plus they make for nice spring and summer flower arrangements in the house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.