Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautiful red kale leaves are getting eaten by something...eats the leaves until the membrane and then there's a hole in the leaf. Leaf miners? Will garlic spray kill those @#$tards? UGH I swear, every year it's a different thing!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic...I guess it's not leaf miners..but, I really haven't been watering these so much and when I do, I'm careful about not getting the water on the leaves and water early in the AM.

What is it?
Plant Leaf Leaf vegetable Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah we get something like this here on Australia's east coast, usually on cabbages and leafy vegetables. Mostly it's green grubs which are the larvae of the white cabbage moth. It lays clusters of tiny yellow eggs on the underside of the leaves and when they hatch they eat through the leaf sometimes leaving mines or hundreds of pinholes. As they grow they can demolish a whole cabbage in a few days. We use derris dust to control them here in Australia but you have to reapply it after rain or heavy wind. I'm aware that derris dust (Rotenone) is banned in many US states because it kills fish; perhaps you can find an alternative. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah we get something like this here on Australia's east coast, usually on cabbages and leafy vegetables. Mostly it's green grubs which are the larvae of the white cabbage moth. It lays clusters of tiny yellow eggs on the underside of the leaves and when they hatch they eat through the leaf sometimes leaving mines or hundreds of pinholes. As they grow they can demolish a whole cabbage in a few days. We use derris dust to control them here in Australia but you have to reapply it after rain or heavy wind. I'm aware that derris dust (Rotenone) is banned in many US states because it kills fish; perhaps you can find an alternative. Cheers
I use DE (diatemaceous earth) on mine. Available at any garden center in Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.