Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I can remember my dad working in his garden. He grew the worlds best onions and corn, at least in my opinion. A few months ago I decided to give me green thumb a whirl, and I'm about ready to harvest my first fruits. I started off with herbs that were already grown, just to see if I could make it through a couple of weeks without killing them. To my surprise, they lived, and I branched out into tomato plants, then peppers (red bell and jalapeno). I got really brave and bought some pickle bush cucumber seeds, along with zucchini.

I found this site while looking for a tip on pollinating my cucumbers, as I am growing on a covered patio in containers, it cuts down on the chance of wildlife pollinating them for me.

I guess that the main goal in my adventure in gardening would be to break my family curse. We are tomato killers. My dad, and uncle are world famous tomato killers, and I hope that I can break that cycle. The above mentioned tomato plants I bought already had some fruit on them, and I took them home and watched the fruit grow until I ate them all. After that harvest however, nothing else has grown. I can see the sprouts come up, but no fruit forms.

I am growing three plants in a five gallon bucket, better boys, in organic potting mix. I'll plant seeds in the first couple of weeks of August and attempt to start over. I'll be combing this site for tips and tricks on growing tomatoes. I know with a little help I can break the family curse and be a super star tomato farmer...

·
Registered
136 Posts
LOL! good luck with the curse. If you want tomatoes that produce all season get the indeterminate type. The determinate ones produce 1 crop and stop. When I don't see enough insect activity and I start worrying, I hand pollinate my squash and zucchini with long stem qtips

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.