Gardening Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the gardening discussions? Click here!

New to Container Gardening

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  red_heads_girl 
#1 ·
My name is tbuck. Planted several squash plants (3) two peppers, one cucumber, one dill and two tomato plants in a four by two container and boy did I run out of room. I lost the tomatoes to squirrells. The squash have taken over the entire container.
Guess I will know better next time! I have harvested Three yellow squash...lol. Oh I am in Fort Worth, Texas....lots of heat!

#2 ·
Welcome!
even though you can actually pack quite a bit into container gardening, some plants that like to meander - like squash and cucs, can just really take over. and tomatos can get HUGE! I always feel like I'm spacing my little seedlings so far apart but once they take off and start growing, they look like one ginormous tomato plant as they all end up growing so close w/o any spacing! I like to find that nice balance of letting the plants be close enough once they are full grown that they create a nice shade over the dirt so the moisture is retained better but not being so close together that sunlight can't get in and they choke each other out. It takes practice for sure!

#4 ·
I have issues with Rabbits, crows, and stray, wild house cats using the bathroom in mine. I live out of the city limits in Kentucky so not much I can do about the cats. I live in a small apartment so I do a lot of container gardening. I found that 1 veggie per container works best for the out put of veggies however, many herbs do grow well in the same container.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.