Gardening Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the gardening discussions? Click here!

Question about radish seeds

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TennesseeChicken 
#1 ·
I let some of the radishes I grew go to seed, so I could just harvest my own seeds. right now a couple of them that bolted up have open light pink flowers on them, which I'm guessing is the seed pods? or not? when will I see the actual radish seeds to harvest - after the flower dies?
I've never let a plant go to seed to harvest my own seeds, so feeling sort of in the dark about this one.

#2 ·
after the flower dies a seed pod should form and as it ages it will change color and get crunchy before this happens when you see the pods forming take a small baggy and attach it over the pods to catch any seeds before they fall. then once the plant starts to die back pull it up hang it up side down with the baggies still on the pods and smack the pods so they drop the seeds into the baggies. did this with lettuce and it worked great. but you have to wait till the seed pods are dry.

#4 ·
depends on the seeds some dry out enough faster than others. lettuce seeds are small and dry fast up side down in a paper bag. once the seed pods are mature you can hurry the process by pulling the plant up and hanging it up side down with the seed pods in a bag for a couple weeks.
just give it a try and see what happens. whats the worst case that you buy seeds next year? best case is you don't buy seeds for that plant.

#5 ·
I'm saving some radish seeds this year. They've been really good this time and any other veggie that is really good I try to save some seeds. Here are some of my radish flowers/pods-not ready to harvest yet...I will wait until the skins turn brown.

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant
Plant Twig Terrestrial plant Grass Vegetation

I definitely had a learning curve when I started to save seeds. I had no idea when to expect. Lettuce was a bit trickier for me. The first ones I saved didn't grow. I think I plucked them too soon. Now I usually wait until they are about ready to blow away from the plant to save the seeds from lettuce. Many times I have volunteers! That's always fun! LOL

Good Luck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.