Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today should be warm and mid 80's and then we change drastically! - like 5 or 6 days of rain, nights in the mid 40's, highs during the day of low 70's. I don't think we'll return to 80 degree or higher temps this year, which is a bit unusual as there are times we are still in the 80's in late October.

my question is my tomatos and peppers. I still have LOTS of green tomatos out there. Should I just pick them and let them ripen in a bag with this forecasted rain and cool temps coming? or can they ride a few days of this out and then continue to ripen when we go back to some sun, even though it might only be in the 70's? or will our cool night time temps stunt any further vine-ripening?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
you can do both with your tomatoes they will be fine riding out the cooler night temps for a short period or you can bring them in hoping they will ripen. the other options are looking for green tomato recipes on line, drying the ripe ones and canning them in olive oil and spices,pickling them green or ripe. I live north in wa and am getting creative with tomato preservation. you can also create a cold frame sort of thing over them with plastic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts