Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished rotortilling my garden and was wondering if I should put compose of chicken and steer manure in ground before I add top soil ? It is better to till all that together or leave top soil just on top of older soil?

Thanks in advance
Pam

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
well, I am a person who never tills. I do a form of lasagna no till gardening.
this is basically you put down news paper, manure,grass clippings/leaves,news paper/cardboard,manure,straw,and don't till it and the very top is top soil you plant in then once you plant you put wood chips over the area and water till you see the sprouts from the seeds you planted then you don't have to water as much or hardly at all. the composting layers hold moisture and warmth plus provide tons of nutrients to your growing seeds. to help control insects I use good bugs to battle the bad bugs. this includes nematodes,praying mantis,lace wings,lady bugs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I garden the same way that Stephanie does, the lasagna garden beds. I have never owned a tiller in my life (now 70) to work my garden. most of the time I never even use a hand trowel, I just pull away the layers and transplant, or if seeding I use some rich loose compost to sow the seeds in. But I will answer your question , My dad always (many yrs ago) spread the manure on top of his soil, which was already rich in nutrients, then he would use his small tractor to work it all together. He always did this in the late fall, so the manure would compost by spring. So in other words since you are using a tiller, I would just add it all together, manure and topsoil and till it together.
good luck and happy gardening

1 - 3 of 3 Posts