Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently tried my hand at Square Foot Gardening this year and I am not seeming to have any luck. I am in Zone 5 in Central New Hampshire, and the weather has been a bit wonky, with 90 degree days and then 60 degrees the next day. Everything seemed to take root and sprout very nicely, however that's about it. My basil and parsley have totally quit growing all together, I just have those pretty little starter leaves, but haven't seen any growth in 2 weeks. I'm not sure if anyone can give me any pointers, or it could be something else I am doing wrong. I would appreciate any input. I am an amateur gardener, and I prefer organic solutions, as I have small children, pets, and chickens. Thanks so much for your replies!! Dawn

·
Registered
232 Posts
rnmomof4, I tried the square foot gardening 2 yrs ago..everything did ok and grew good. But I found that in hot weather and dry that I had to water 2 times aday and I mulched heavy. I converted all my square foot boxes into "lasagna" beds, made them longer up to 50 ft. but kept them no more then 4 ft wide. some I make 36 inches wide. But as to your question, did you make your mix like Mel suggests? and add mulch? you could be watering too much or not enough. to me, without actually seeing the plants, that it possible could be a lack of phosphorus, which strengthens the root system, and improves flowering. if that is the cause of not seeing any growth, then you could add a little bone meal, or cotton seed meal and a little rock phosphate (agriculture lime) add around the plants in a shallow trench, but not touch the plant and water in good. also to maybe give it a quick boost, try some miracle gro, get the bloom buster which is 15-30-15 I believe. it is for flowers but it will have most of what you need in phosphorus.
good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts