Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting plants indoors is new to me

I am in Zone 5B, I don't plant bedding plants until June 1st. I don't have grow lights or heat mats, just a sunny window. When do I start...Peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash etc?

·
Administrator
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got this advice so far......

Dan Drake.
I am also in 5b and never would follow the packet. If you have good lighting such as T5 high output fluorescents. Many plants don't do as well if root bound and actually in my experience can catch up to the bigger ones after transplant outdoors. I suggest planting peppers the last week of April or the beginning of May,.plant them out the first to second week of June as peppers need the ground warm. Tomatoes I would start may 5 or so and plant out the first week of June. Around the 12 start cucumber,squash. I highly recommend trying to do a spring/summer/Fall crop per bed. Start beets in early april along with snap pea and Kolrabi for example plant out the end of April in beds where your planning on putting peppers. I suggest to start everything under T5 grow lights before planting out except carrots and parsnips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.