Veggie Gardener Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to try a lasagna bed...does it make a difference if i use hay or straw...and does this just go on the top...and do i have to leave it for a season before planting in it....i have watched some videos however it is not quite clear to me...thanks my garden friends.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
doesn't matter so much if it is hay or straw both have seeds in them but straw will have a few more. It can go on any layer pattern you choose.but the bottom layer should be news paper then manure,straw,dirt,leaves/pine needles,dirt,wood chips. then you can plant in it this year but plant under the wood chips use them as a cover to block any future weed seeds don't mix a thing. make the layers about 4-6 inches deep each except the news paper it will be your weed blocker and help with moisture retention.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
your welcome, this is how I do my raised beds :) and it works great year after year. oh and if you have slugs/snails in your area put a copper strip around the raised beds and it will keep them out :) the copper gives them a bad reaction and the move away to a better place to munch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was always under the impression that straw has less seeds and makes for better mulch. The hay ring areas for our cattle have the most beautiful grass growing now!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i mulch in my garden with hay,when fall comes do i rake it up into a pile and re use it in the spring...or do i till it in..or something else?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I was always under the impression that straw has less seeds and makes for better mulch. The hay ring areas for our cattle have the most beautiful grass growing now!
it may depend on the hay or straw you get as far as seeds are concerned, hay that is over ripe and ready to drop it's seeds will have more than straw, the advantage to straw is most of it is oat straw so any seeds that do drop/grow if you have enough you can make oatmeal or oat flour out of. I am a picky hay person it must be bright green,fine textured and not have a ton of seed tops in it. The best hays with the best nutritional value won't have any or very few hard to find seed tops. Once hay is mature all the best nutrition is in the seeds to help the species survive and propagate most of those seeds are dropped in the hay field during cutting and bailing, the same goes for straws. Also the more mature the hay the harder it is for a animal to digest because of the fibers hay is made of is tough and most animals herbivores will pass this part seeds and all even cattle can not digest seeds the hull is too tough for digestive juices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts