Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at raised garden boxes and my tomatoes are impressive so far
So much so that they have overgrown their cages
Should I be worried about trying to add stakes or further support or will the bush support itself
I will post pics as well but the foliage is so dense I don't want to stifle the fruit so I am trying to come with additional support without disturbing any of the plants amazing growth
Thanks for your time
Jeff

·
Registered
204 Posts
hi jeff...my tomatoes did the same thing...i am new to gardening however i was looking around the net and seen that it is good to cut back some of the stems that have no flowers on them....i did this..i took off three milk crates of stems so my tomatoes could get good light and breathe better..it seemed to work well...i have lots of tomatoes....also any branches that got out of controll i tied them to other stems that are anchored...if you are a little timid to go as far as i did...just do a little at a time...happy gardening.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Welcome!

ditto what Angel said. if the foliage is getting real dense, you'll want to trim off some of the branches that are not producing. This will put more energy into growing and ripening the fruit. I also usually have tomato plants that out grow the cages I have (some day I really want my husband to build me some nice wooden tomato cages), so I use bamboo poles to help hold up the branches that outgrow the cages and tie them up to the poles with some yarn.

good luck! sounds like you have some very healthy tomato plants!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts