Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help...I have a wild flower plot in my yard, about 800 sq ft, The other wildflowers are coming along nicely. But the crab grass and bermuda is now growing in from the sides. We are just about to mow for the 2nd time this year. Does anyone have any info on what to do about the unwanted grasses in our wildflower plot?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope there's a good answer out there too! That stuff is tenacious. Weed killers and fire don't work. I try digging chucks of it out but it comes right back. sigh..

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
the best I can say is start over and put a weed blocker down such as newspaper then add fresh soil and compost replant wildflower seeds and cover with wood chips to block any weed/grass seeds from taking root. keep damp till the flowers come up. this is the only way I have found to block crab grass and bunch grasses and any other type of crazy weeds! I have some weeds that get big leaves and about 3 foot tall nothing eats it! and they spread like wild fire! hubby tilled an area and with in a month the weeds where a foot tall and growing very well. they break off when you try and pull them and then they regrow even stronger. living in the PNW has some interesting challenges lots of our weeds spread from tiny roots. we have a big nasty weed called scotch broom it has to be pulled,burned and poisoned to kill one plant. It will grow from cuttings left on the ground,seeds(viable for 50yrs) and roots left in ground. it is semi toxic to some live stock,goats will eat the leaves.When it blooms the clusters of yellow flowers it becomes sneezing season for every one plus the smell is like smelling syrup all day long it becomes nauseating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts