Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
580 Posts
will be thinning and canning beets this week as well as pulling some carrots and maybe some green beans. my corn is starting to form ears and my squash is doing squashy things:) they are forming and getting big also. I am letting the donkeys and pigs have at the black berries and wild blue berry bushes just because they are doing bad things to my fencing. well the evergreen black berries are hanging all over the pigs fence.have wild blue berries getting ripe, three types of black berries all growing wild,plus black cap wild raspberries going crazy all over have wild strawberries in my lawn. I live in wild berry crazy land it seems.oh forgot about he salmon/thimble berries they are every where too. they all make for a nice snack outside.

· Premium Member
580 Posts
to keep the dark red color you have to leave about 2 inches of the stem on them or they bleed out, when you first cook them to prep the beets for canning. I also do a water bath when canning them and they stay dark red. if you save the water off the beets and strain it you can make a real interesting jelly from it but you have to add extra pectin plus some lemon juice and cook it longer, but use the basic berry jelly recipe. I will post my sweet beet recipe for all to enjoy :)
I will also do some pics of cooking prep so they retain the dark red color.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.