Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Hi Stephanie. I'm not as far north as you but how about building a hoop canopy over one of your garden beds? I have lettuce, spinach and kale growing on one end of my raised bed and have built a little hoop style covering over it to protect it. I just used vizquine over it and I know it's not being kept very warm in there, but it does seem to provide some protection from the cold. Stuff is growing, albeit very slowly. I also have some broccoli growing, but haven't covered it. Next week, our nights are supposed to get down in mid 20's, so I'm really not sure if the broccoli can withstand those temps or not. It's all sort of an experiment for me this year as I've never winter gardened before. Plus, it's difficult for me to do much because I really only see my garden on wknds as it's already pretty dark out by the time I get home from work.

I did plant garlic bulbs a couple wknds ago and I noticed last weekend that they are sprouting. Garlic is easy though because you don't really have to do anything all winter to them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.