Veggie Gardener Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Tammy, it sounds like your zucchini aren't getting pollinated. the female flower has a small "baby" zucchini behind it. If it doesn't get pollinated properly, it may grow a little bit, then turn yellow, get soft and eventually fall off and rot. When a female flower gets pollinated, it will grow rather rapidly into a zucchini. Be patient, this will correct itself as the summer goes on and you get more male flowers. If you think you might have a lack of pollinators, (bees, etc) you can try hand pollinating. Good luck!

· Registered
4 Posts
angel1237b, tomatoes, as far as I know, are self pollinating. Sometimes going out and giving them a gentle shake will "knock" some of the pollin around a bit. I'm not really sure why your tomatoes would be funny shapes. As far as hand pollinating your squash or cukes, I beleive all you have to do is use a small paintbrush to take some pollin from a male flower and brush it on the inside of the female flower. the flowers are usually open the most in early morning. Do a search for "hand pollinating squash" on youtube and I'm sure you can find a video showing you how! Here's a link to a how-to from Veggiegardener. :) http://www.veggiegardener.com/how-to-hand-pollinate-your-cucumbers/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.